ONTD Political

Austria will schedule another presidential election following Friday's annulment of the May vote, which was settled by less than 1 percentage point.

The country's Constitutional Court announced the May runoff vote, narrowly won by Green Party candidate Alexander Van der Bellen over the right-wing Freedom Party's Norbert Hofer, was compromised by inconsistencies in the vote count in several constituencies. The Freedom Party said postal votes were improperly handled by counting prior to the election date, a requirement of Austrian law. Witnesses added they saw some election observers signing minutes of the vote count without reading them.

The Freedom Party challenged the vote count, which sent the issue to the court.

While the court said there was no evidence of vote tampering or manipulation, the number of affected votes totaled 77,296; Van der Bellen defeated Hofer in the May election by 30,863 votes.

The unprecedented ruling by the court came a week before Van der Bellen was to have been inaugurated. Although the Austrian president's position is largely ceremonial, the vote is symbolic of the fast growth of the Freedom Party and its anti-refugee attitude and its distrust of the country's political establishment.


Follow-up to this post.

by: Steve Rothaus

-HRC, the nation’s largest LGBTQ political group, releases a blistering commentary on Marco Rubio’s senate career.
-Repeatedly saying during his failed presidential campaign he would not run for re-election to U.S. Senate, Rubio now is reconsidering his decision.
-Rubio says he was ‘deeply impacted’ by the Orlando LGBTQ nightclub massacre and that’s why he might run again

Shortly after 49 people — most of them LGBTQ and Hispanic — were shot to death inside an Orlando nightclub, Marco Rubio announced he was “deeply impacted” by the massacre and might now run for re-election to the U.S. Senate.

Rubio repeatedly said during his failed bid to become president earlier this year that he had no intention of staying in the Senate, even if he didn’t win the GOP nomination. And throughout the campaign, he stood by political positions deemed anti-LGBTQ by much of the mainstream gay community.

As Rubio decides whether to run for re-election, HRC, the nation’s largest LGBTQ political group, offered the Herald a blistering commentary on the senator’s career in Washington.

“The timing of his consideration is just, frankly, painful,” HRC communications director Jay Brown told the Miami Herald on Tuesday. “To be using the tragedy in Orlando as a time to reflect on his Senate career, when his career and his promises on the campaign trail have been anti-LGBTQ consistently, it’s just staggering to think he would be using this moment for his own personal ambitions.”

Here’s the complete HRC news release:Collapse )

by: Jeremy W. Peters

WASHINGTON — Senator Marco Rubio of Florida is leaning heavily toward running for re-election to the seat he swore he was giving up after six often frustrating years and a failed presidential run, associates said on Friday, a reversal that would upend one of the most competitive races in the country.

Mr. Rubio could make his decision public early next week after he spends the weekend with his family in Florida weighing the personal, political and financial considerations of another campaign. One adviser who described the senator as “all in” said Mr. Rubio’s staff members had already begun scouting a site for a possible announcement.

The likelihood of a re-election bid seemed to grow on Friday when one of Mr. Rubio’s potential rivals, Representative David Jolly, suddenly dropped out of the race and said he would seek another term in the House instead. Earlier in the day, Mr. Jolly foreshadowed his move, telling CNN, “Marco is saying he’s getting in.”

Read more...Collapse )


Mods, I submitted this earlier, but had forgotten the source. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!
Jun 8, 2016 12:58 pm ET

As Hillary Clinton claimed victory in the Democratic race on Tuesday night, her ardent supporters enthusiastically tweeted #ImwithHer. But a Twitter meme fueled by other voters — particularly Bernie Sanders supporters whom Mrs. Clinton hopes will join her camp — underscored that while many Democrats deeply oppose presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump, they remain ambivalent about the former secretary of state, over issues including mass incarceration and foreign policy.

And in 2016, sometimes nothing can quite explain the complicated feelings about the 2016 election like pop-culture references and animated gifs.

also #whatelseistheretodoCollapse )

Source: WSJ

I need to make this hashtag into a banner because the Haitian women of my family, including myself, feel like this overall. And no, none of us can't not vote for her because we live in the volatile swing state of Florida.



Miami state Sen. Gwen Margolis apparently disparaged three of her opponents as “Haitians” and dismissed two others as “some teacher and some lawyer” at a local Democratic meeting Monday night, according to the only one of her rivals who was present.

“It’s reprehensible that three Haitians, some teacher and some lawyer think that they have the right to run against me,” Margolis said, according to teacher Don Festge.

“I’ve been in office for over 40 years,” Margolis continued, according to Festge. “What does some teacher know about Tallahassee and how to run the Senate?”

Margolis went on to refer to her Haitian-American competitors — businessman Anis Blémur, former state Rep. Phillip Brutus and state Rep. Daphne Campbell — as “Haitians” four more times, Festge said. He added that Margolis later concluded: “I have unlimited funds, and I’m going to spend every penny, and I’m not going to lose to those three Haitians or some teacher or lawyer.”

The lawyer in question is Jason Pizzo. All the candidates running in the Aug. 30 primary are Democrats. About 33 percent of the district’s voters are black.

Festge — who, like Margolis and Pizzo, is white — recounted the scene to the Miami Herald on Tuesday.

✄ ✄ ✄Collapse )

Source: Miami Herald

Marco Rubio has finally admitted that he was going to lend his support to Donald Trump, saying that if he were asked to speak on behalf of Trump at the Republican National Convention, he would be happy to do so. This wasn’t unexpected, but rather just another step in the long, shambling denouement of the entire Rubio persona.

Some are pointing to Rubio’s concession as spectacular hypocrisy, not just because of the forcefulness of his previous attacks on Trump (which alone were unusual during a primary campaign), but because of the specific grounds on which those attacks were based. They really were quite incredible: Rubio darkly warned of the consequences of Trump encouraging violence at his campaign rallies, alluding to the “dangerous and disastrous” movements that have arisen out of this kind of political rhetoric. He compared Trump to “third-world strongmen” whose leadership inevitably results in failed states. He called him a “con man” four times in 15 seconds, and most dramatically, a “lunatic” and “erratic individual” who shouldn’t have control over the nuclear codes.

Now, after all of that, Rubio said that he’d be “honored” to help unify the party behind Donald Trump, that he’d be “honored” to help the man he called an unhinged tinpot dictator come to power.

Read more...Collapse )


OP Note: I edited my post to fix an HTML error.
SAN FRANCISCO (June 1, 2016)—A federal judge in San Francisco delivered a blistering rejection to a bid by supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign for an emergency court order that would have imposed significant eleventh hour requirements on elections officials in California’s June 7 Presidential Primary.

U.S. District Court Judge William Alsup described allegations by plaintiffs’ counsel as “hot air” shortly before ruling verbally from the bench, colorfully noting that “there’s not a single decision in the history of the universe” equating plaintiffs’ alleged facts with a violation of the U.S. Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause. Alsup added that plaintiffs’ made “absolutely no showing of a violation of federal law.”

“I’m gratified by the court’s ruling, which strongly affirms what we said from the beginning: that literally every violation these plaintiffs alleged was inaccurate,” said San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera. “I think it’s unfortunate that plaintiffs proceeded with litigation, even after we took time to demonstrate that their case had no basis in reality. We’ll never know for sure if this lawsuit was just a political stunt, but I think Judge Alsup summed it up well in two words: ‘hot air.’”

San Francisco, Alameda County, and state elections officials were sued on May 20 by an unincorporated association of Sanders backers called the “Voting Rights Defense Project,” who together with the American Independence Party and two San Francisco voters leveled an array of allegations that Herrera called wholly baseless. Specifics of the injunction order sought by Sanders’ supporters included: requiring poll workers in California’s 58 counties to individually inform “no party preference” voters of their right to request a partisan presidential primary ballot; compelling statewide television, radio, internet and email announcements to inform voters about state election laws; and, “if possible,” to extend California’s voter registration deadline—which already passed on May 23 for eligibility to vote in the June 7 primary—until election day itself. The original civil complaint filed on May 20 sought additional injunctive relief, which included a requirement for California elections officials segregate ballots already cast by unaffiliated voters, and to allow “re-votes” by those voters for presidential primary candidates.

The case is: Voting Rights Defense Project et al. v. Tim Depuis et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Case No. 3:16-CV-02739, filed May 20, 2016

Source <-- all of the case documents are on the City Attorney's site too!

I think if the injunction sought less stringent things, it might've been maybe 40% successful, also if it left constitutional arguments out of it.

Independent candidate Alexander Van der Bellen has won Austria's presidential election, preventing Norbert Hofer from becoming the EU's first far-right head of state, the BBC has been told.

Mr Hofer led narrowly after Sunday's election but postal votes counted on Monday gave Mr Van der Bellen victory.

Mr Van der Bellen campaigned on a pro-EU platform, backed by the Green Party.

Mr Hofer, of the Freedom Party, had tapped into anti-EU sentiment and fears about rising numbers of asylum seekers.

The official result is expected to be announced shortly.

Read more...Collapse )


They haven't technically announced it yet bc Innsbruck fucked up and needs to recount (afraid of Strache I guess :P), but Hofer already conceded on Facebook.

Austria's far-right Freedom Party presidential candidate Norbert Hofer and his rival, Green-backed Alexander Van der Bellen, are to hold final rallies ahead of a run-off vote.

Mr Hofer, 45, won last month's first round, but failed to avoid the run-off.

If he wins on Sunday, Mr Hofer could become the EU's first far-right head of state, although Austria's president plays a largely ceremonial role.

Read more...Collapse )


The election will be held this Sunday and I gotta say I'm really nervous.

Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton “Trigger Happy” as She Courts Neocons

Donald Trump derided Hillary Clinton’s hawkish foreign policy record over the weekend, a glimpse into a potential general election strategy of casting Clinton as the more likely of the two to take the nation to war.

Just moments after maligning Syrian refugees at a rally in Lynden, Washington, Trump pivoted into a tirade against Clinton as a warmonger.

“On foreign policy, Hillary is trigger happy,” Trump told the crowd. “She is, she’s trigger happy. She’s got a bad temperament,” he said. “Her decisions in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Libya have cost trillions of dollars, thousands of lives and have totally unleashed ISIS.”

And he expressed a rarely heard appreciation for the “other side to this story,” noting: “Thousands of lives yes, for us, but probably millions of lives in all fairness, folks” for the people of the Middle East.

Trump implied that casualties inflicted by the U.S. military were far higher than reported. “They bomb a city” and “it’s obliterated, obliterated,” he said. “They’ll say nobody was killed. I’ll bet you thousands and thousands of people were killed every time you see that television set.”

“If we would’ve done nothing,” Trump argued, “we would’ve been in much better shape.”

Read moreCollapse )


The plot twist a lot of us were expecting.
This page was loaded Oct 20th 2016, 9:23 pm GMT.