February 26th, 2012

Jesus Horses

Infertile couples seeking artificial ways of procreating are apparently sinners

Pope tells infertile couples to shun artificial procreation
VATICAN CITY (AP) – Pope Benedict XVI on Saturday urged infertile couples to shun artificial procreation, decrying such methods as a form of arrogance.

Speaking at the end of a three-day Vatican conference on diagnosing and treating infertility, Benedict also reiterated church teaching that marriage is the only permissible place to conceive children. Matrimony "constitutes the only 'place' worthy of the call to existence of a new human being," he said.

The pope pressed the church ban against artificial procreation, saying infertile couples should refrain from any method to try to conceive other than sex between husband and wife.

"The human and Christian dignity of procreation, in fact, doesn't consist in a 'product,' but in its link to the conjugal act, an expression of the love of the spouses of their union, not only biological but also spiritual," Benedict said.

He told the science and fertility experts in his audience to resist "the fascination of the technology of artificial fertility. Benedict cautioned the experts against "easy income, or even worse, the arrogance of taking the place of the Creator," an attitude he indicated underlies the field of artificial procreation.

Sperm or egg donation and methods such as in vitro fertilization are banned by the church for its faithful.

The emphasis on science "and the logic of profit seem today to dominate the field of infertility and human procreation," the pope said.

But he added that the Church encourages medical research into infertility.
Kissing Parts

Santorum: Separation Of Church And State 'Makes Me Want To Throw Up'

Rick Santorum on Sunday took on separation of church and state.

"I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state are absolute," he told 'This Week' host George Stephanopoulos. "The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country...to say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes me want to throw up."

The GOP candidate was responding to comments he made last October. He had said that he "almost threw up" after reading JFK's 1960 speech in which he declared his commitment to the separation of church and state.

Santorum also on Sunday told Meet The Press host David Gregory that separation of church and state was "not the founders' vision."

The GOP candidate has been doubling down on religious rhetoric in an effort to court evangelical voters ahead of Super Tuesday. Last week, he questioned Obama's spiritual beliefs.

"[Obama believes in] some phony ideal, some phony theology ... not a theology based on the Bible, a different theology," he said.

Source

So, does ANYTHING disqualify candidates? Because you'd think this would. And seriously, are THAT many people in this country fundies? Cause if so, I'm absolutely out of here.
Also:
"... I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State." ~Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Reality dims promise of Jubilee House (As seen on Home Extreme Makeover)

The television crews captured a fairy tale last summer on Langdon Street.

Thousands of volunteers worked together for a week to tear down a crumbling house and build one five times larger for some of Fayetteville's most vulnerable residents - homeless female veterans and their children.

The new house had it all: Beautiful bedrooms in dazzling colors and personalized themes; a huge kitchen overlooking a greenhouse, a garden and a miniature replica of the White House.

And first lady Michelle Obama showed up with a personal endorsement of Barbara Marshall's charity, along with seeds from the White House for the new garden.

The ABC television show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" filmed it all and used the show as its season premiere in September.

But by the time the episode aired and millions of viewers watched the show's signature bus move to reveal a dream house, lofty public expectations were giving way to a messier private reality.

Marshall unnecessarily kicked out women and children and refused to help destitute veterans even when rooms were available in the 7,200-square-foot duplex on Langdon Street, according to six women who either lived in or applied to live in the Jubilee House.

Collapse )

tldr crowd. Lady got a new home from Extreme Home Makeover then kicks everyone out of the shelter for homeless women veterans and lives in it on her own while she's getting thousands of donations and free food

source
the love witch

POLICE 'FORCED INNOCENT BOY TO CONFESS'



A boy who was found guilty of murdering his 11-year-old sister when he was 12 years old said he only confessed after hours of police interrogation.

Thomas Cogdell is now 18 and still maintains he had nothing to do with the strangling death of his sister at their Arkansas, USA home.

Police suspected the boy had a part in the murder because he remained 'too calm' during the ordeal.

According to The Commercial Appeal, in August 2006, Thomas was awoken by his mother Melody Jones. They both found his 11-year-old sister Kaylee on her bed, her head covered with two shopping bags which was tied on with measuring tape and the family dog's lead.

His mother became hysterical however Thomas calmly called emergency 911 and directed police to their home. It was this stoic attitude that forced police to believe the boy was guilty of his sister's murder.

They dragged the young boy into questioning and allegedly used tactics such as threatening him with the death penalty to try to get a confession.

Thomas, a 'bookish' child can be heard in police tapes denying murdering his sister 36 times.

However when he asked for food, officers switched the tape recorder off for three-and-a-half hours. According to The Commercial Appeal, it was in this time that the officers told him that he could go home if he admitted to the murder and he'd go to jail if he didn't.

When the tape recorders were switched on, he confessed to his sister's murder, saying she was bossy and that he put the bags over her head to teach her a lesson.

"I was terrified," he said in a recent interview. "They wouldn't believe me and they said they would give me the death penalty."

The boy believed that DNA evidence would clear him and can be heard in the police recording telling his mother: "I didn't do it. It's OK, Mom. They won't find my fingerprints."

At one point, he let out cries, saying: "Why? ... I didn't do it, but they won't believe me. Help. I'm scared."

In the end they couldn't find any clear fingerprints and he was found guilty of second degree murder on the basis of his confession. He spent two years in jail before being released after a judge found him to be unfairly questioned. He had allegedly told police that he didn't understand what it meant to waive his rights to remain silent and have an attorney with him.

Although he is out of jail, he hasn't been cleared although he and his grandparents believe his mother to be guilty of the murder.

Ms Jones admitted to police that she had smacked her daughter the night before her death and that she sometimes forgets to take her bipolar disorder medicine but she denies killing her.

"I did not do anything to my daughter," she said. "I love her, I miss her."

She also doesn't suspect her son was involved in the crime: "I really wanted him to be totally cleared."

Ms Jones believes a stranger is to blame. saying "There was unknown male DNA at my house, Did you ever hear about that person? Nothing."

A lawyer with the Center on Wrongful Conviction of Youth said "The interrogation is one of the most riveting examples of psychological torture I have ever seen." however prosecuting attorney Robin Carroll told the Commercial Appeal that there had been no evidence forthcoming to doubt anything done in the case.

source


this makes me so angry I want to cry. fuck the police. 
tucker
  • lyssna

Germany asked to stop offering castration to sex criminals

Berlin (CNN) -- Europe's top human rights watchdog has urged Germany to stop offering sexual offenders the option of surgical castration.

The Council of Europe's anti-torture committee said in a report issued Wednesday that the practice, which aims to help convicted sex criminals rein in their sex drives and lower their risk of reoffending, could easily be regarded as "degrading treatment."

According to Germany's 1969 Law on Voluntary Castration, a person over the age of 25 may be subjected to surgical castration if he "displays an abnormal sex drive, which ... gives reason to suspect that he will commit one or more criminal offenses."

The controversial procedure is not mandatory and a consensual offender can only have the operation after being informed of all the implications of the decision and after medical approval has been obtained, Germany said in its response, adding that it would consider reviewing the issue.

But Berlin also cited the treatment's effectiveness, saying that of the 104 people who underwent the procedure in the 1970s, only three people committed sexual crimes again. Nearly half of the 53 others who refused or were denied treatment eventually reoffended.

Voluntary castration is still very rare in Germany, with fewer than five cases per year in the last decade.

The only other country in the 47-nation bloc of the Council of Europe that offers the process is the Czech Republic, which has also been the subject of criticism in recent years for allowing sex offenders to opt for castration, a procedure it uses far more frequently than Germany.

Source.

Scottish National Party dismisses Donald Trump threat over wind turbines.

The SNP has dismissed claims by Donald Trump that he could win a "very large lawsuit" over plans to build wind turbines near his Scottish golf resort.

The US tycoon told BBC Scotland he would be happy to air his grievances at Holyrood over proposals for 11 turbines off the coast of the Menie estate.

A decision on the offshore application is expected later this year.

Speaking from New York, Mr Trump told the BBC's Sunday Politics Scotland programme he would be "honoured" to give evidence to the Scottish Parliament's energy committee over the issue if he was invited.

Mr Trump has previously called the turbines "ugly monstrosities" and "horrendous machines", and has decided to bankroll an anti-wind farm campaign "to save Scotland".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17172439

OP: He probably opposes the wind turbines in case they blow his wig off.