July 11th, 2012

daisuke doncurr

How Republicans plan to win over the youth vote



Four years after Barack Obama won the support of 66 percent of voters aged 18 to 29, Republicans are working on a fresh approach to bring younger voters and candidates into the fold, using a coalition of traditional campaign organizations, super PACs, nonprofit advocacy groups and policy-based think tanks.

And even Republicans organizing these efforts admit it's going to take some work.


Collapse )



Source http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/republicans-plan-win-over-youth-vote-195607913.html

........OK lol
That child is surely me...

TW for paedophilia

SOURCE

Anonymous Targets Paedophiles via #OPpedochat on Twitter

TW for paedophilia


Collapse )
FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD DO NOT READ THE DAMNED COMMENTS. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. I AM WARNING YOU NOW IN ADVANCE, APOLOGISTS ABOUND.

On the channels and the actual #OPpedochat Twitter, the 'discrepancies' may be attributed to the four or so languages collective subgroups speak/write in; stuff happens. There is, I can tell you for a fact, about 100 domains registered to one guy on GoDaddy ATM. We'll see if GD shuts 'em down.

Eric Holder vows to aggressively challenge voter ID laws

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Tuesday vowed to be “aggressive” in challenging voting laws that restrict minority rights, using a speech in Texas to make his case on the same day a federal court was considering the legality of the state’s new voter ID legislation.

“Let me be clear: We will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious rights,” Holder said in the speech to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. “I can assure you that the Justice Department’s efforts to uphold and enforce voting rights will remain aggressive.”

Collapse )

Source

(no subject)

Under the noses of the West, militant Islamists have seized a vast swath of the Sahara, complete with airports, military bases, arms dumps and training camps.

A few days after desert gunmen swept out of the Sahara and captured Timbuktu, the city’s conquerors broadcast a message over its radio station.

"We are going to welcome some foreigners," the inhabitants of this ancient trading centre in northern Mali were told. "Do not be afraid when you see them: we must all welcome them."

A convoy of LandCruisers duly arrived, laden with bearded fighters clad in sand-coloured turbans and robes. These were not rebels from the local Tuareg tribe, who had claimed credit for the fall of Timbuktu, but international jihadists from across the Muslim world including Algerians, Nigerians, Somalis and Pakistanis. This multinational parade drove home a harsh message: a new state had been born under the effective rule of al-Qaeda. Bewildered townspeople, who had only seen Tuareg insurgents up to that point, realised its true significance.

"We first saw the foreigners when they were in our city," said Mousa Maigar, who witnessed the arrival of the column. "How they entered our country, we don’t know."

Almost unnoticed by the outside world, a branch of al-Qaeda has seized a swath of Africa covering more than 500,000 square kilometres.

"Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb" (AQIM) and its allies have taken over an area of the Sahara more than three times the size of Britain, complete with airports, military bases, arms dumps and training camps.

Ever since the September 11 attacks, Western counter-terrorism policy has been designed to prevent al-Qaeda from controlling territory. Yet that is exactly what AQIM has now achieved.

Its new domain covers the regions of Timbuktu, Gao and Kidal in northern Mali. This area is already serving as a base for training and recruitment. But AQIM’s new domain also lies across a trans-Saharan smuggling route employed to run cocaine to Europe. The movement will have every opportunity to profit from drug trafficking.

Already, equipment that was supplied to combat al-Qaeda has fallen into the hands of its fighters. Before the capture of northern Mali by Islamists in April, America had given military vehicles and satellite communications technology to the country’s army. In particular, the US supplied six counter-terrorism units with 87 Land Cruisers, along with satellite phones and navigation aids. AQIM fighters are now using these American donations, according to a serving soldier in the Malian army with decades of experience in the north.

Five of the six specialist military units abandoned their equipment and fled when AQIM and its allies advanced, he said. "The Islamists are the masters today," he added. "They have all the equipment that we left in the field."

In addition to these assets, AQIM has also inherited the stores abandoned by Mali’s army, including artillery, rocket launchers and large reserves of small arms and ammunition. AQIM controls the civilian airports of Timbuktu, Gao and Kidal, along with one of the region’s biggest military airbases at Tessalit, near the northern border with Algeria.

"It pains my heart that I have relatives in the north who are suffering day by day and it is not in my military capacity to help them," said the soldier. "I am helpless."

Mali’s army had little chance of preventing the loss of two thirds of the country. After Col Muammar Gaddafi’s downfall last year, Libya’s military stockpiles were thrown open to all-comers, turning the country into the world’s biggest source of illegal weapons.

Both AQIM and the Tuareg rebels from northern Mali seized their chance: they soon outgunned the national army. Gaddafi had also recruited thousands of soldiers from Mali; one brigade of the old Libyan army consisted almost entirely of Tuaregs. These battle-hardened troops returned to their homeland after he was overthrown, taking their weapons with them. They duly became the backbone of AQIM and the Tuareg rebellion.

When Britain and France went to war to topple Gaddafi, they were inadvertently clearing the way for al-Qaeda to take control of a swath of the Sahara. At first, AQIM allowed Tuareg rebels to take the lead, helping them to capture Mali’s three northern regions in April. Since then, AQIM has thrust the insurgents aside and become the dominant force in the area, acting through an offshoot known as "Ansar Dine", or "defenders of faith".

They have no viable opponents: Mali’s official government has simply collapsed. A military coup toppled President Amadou Toumani Toure in March. An interim leader, appointed to supervise new elections, was then left for dead by a mob that raided his office. He now lies in a hospital bed in France, leaving no one in charge in the capital, Bamako.

Even if Mali had a functioning government, the army lacks the military capability to retake the north. So far, AQIM’s leaders can take comfort from the fact that no outside force threatens their control. "If you have a vast unpoliced, ungoverned area, you can do what you like in it," said a Western diplomat in Bamako. "The fact is that two thirds of the territory of a sovereign country is not under the control of the government."

The original inhabitants of AQIM’s new domain have been trickling away. More than 181,000 people have entered refugee camps in neighbouring countries, with another 160,000 fleeing to southern Mali. Mr Maigar fled Timbuktu last Thursday after Ansar Dine razed eight of the city’s 16 mausoleums and broke down the entrance to the Sidi Yahya mosque dating from 1400.

"When they destroyed the mausoleums, that affected me personally. We cannot live with the terrorists in the city," he said.

Al-Qaeda’s allies have imposed the rigours of Sharia, banning alcohol and music, blocking the local television signal and preventing radio stations from broadcasting anything but official announcements and Koranic verse.

Earlier, Mr Maigar witnessed the flogging of a man and a woman in Sankore Square in Timbuktu, allegedly for having sexual intercourse outside marriage. Djenebou Traore, 48, left the city in May after two men came to her door and demanded to know whether any of the women inside were unmarried. They would be handed to the new overlords for 'compulsory marriage'.

AQIM’s priority appears to be consolidating its control, rather than striking targets beyond the country’s borders. Officials warn this could change. "This could ultimately be the base to attack Europe," said the diplomat.

----------
Source
----------

I'm amazed I've only seen one story on this. This soundds like big shit.
CH Hate everything

The Mass Graves of Kashmir

For 22 years this contested region has endured a regime of torture and disappeared civilians. Now a local laywer is discovering their unmarked graves and challenging India's abuses.

One sodden evening in April 2010, an Indian army major from the 4 Rajputana Rifles arrived at a remote police post where the mountains gather in a half-hitch around Kashmir, India's northernmost state. Major Opinder Singh "seemed in a hurry", a duty policeman recalled. Up in the heights of the Pir Panjal range, down through which the major had descended, it was snowing and his boots let in water. "The officer reported that the previous night his men had killed three Pakistani terrorists who had crossed over into our Machil sector," the policeman recalled. "Where are the bodies?" the policeman had asked, filling in a First Information Report that started a criminal enquiry. "They were buried where they were shot," the major retorted, before taking off in his jeep.


Collapse )
OP: This whole thing makes me so sick. I just can't even with this, the systematic secret detention and torture that goes on in Kashmir literally makes me throw up. I really hope that Pavrez Imroz stays safe and continues his brave work. I hope this sparks some interest in Kashmir and puts pressure on the Indian governemnt, although I really won't hold my breath.

Source

shawn corey

Romney booed by NAACP as he jabs Obama, health care

Mitt Romney told the NAACP today that he has the "best interest" of all Americans at heart and outlined why he believes President Obama has failed blacks on issues such as the economy and education.

By Evan Vucci, AP

But he drew boos from the crowd in Houston at his first mention of wanting to repeal the national health care law he calls "Obamacare."


Collapse )



Source http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/07/mitt-romney-naacp-speech-/1#.T_22IXFVjAI

....Once again we cannot afford to have this fool in office , can't something be done about that voter purge?
Bree Gun

oh boy.

Sen. Mike Lee Takes Issue With HBO’s ‘The Newsroom’



HBO’s new drama “The Newsroom” has been the target of critical derision since its premiere. Now a sitting senator is taking issue with the show.

Tea Party Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) called HBO co-president Richard Plepler on Monday, after “The Newsroom” mentioned Lee in its latest episode. Reporting on the rise of the Tea Party, the show’s anchor Will McAvoy, played by Jeff Daniels, said “the centerpiece of Lee’s stump speech is repealing the 14th amendment.” McAvoy called it an “applause line” that will win Lee his primary by double digits.

Lee’s office, according to The Salt Lake Tribune, says the senator supported “clarifying” the interpretation of the constitutional amendment, but didn’t support its repeal. And Lee’s opponent in 2010, Bob Bennett, failed to make it to the primary after the Utah Republican Convention.

The senator’s office told the paper that the network is free to criticize Lee, so long as it does so accurately. “Lee obviously understands he is a public official and open to criticism,” Lee spokesman Brian Phillips said, “but this particular mistake was especially egregious and deserved to be corrected.”

Phillips told TPM that Lee believes HBO “responded positively” to his issue with the episode, but declined to comment further.

The fictional journalists on “The Newsroom” report on real-life news events — including the BP oil spill and Arizona’s immigration law.

Source
four

Judge lets Mississippi's only abortion clinic to stay open -- for now

Jackson, Mississippi (CNN) -- A federal judge in Mississippi on Wednesday ordered an extension of his temporary order to allow the state's only abortion clinic to stay open.

The order will be in place until U.S. District Judge Daniel Jordan can review newly drafted rules on how the Mississippi Department of Health will administer a new abortion law.

He then plans to rule on whether the temporary order will become permanent, or the clinic must shut its doors.

Collapse )

Source
smoke

Internet Social Justice Mob Goes Batshit on Activist, Has No Sense of Irony

Have you ever said something sort of dumb and immature on the internet? When it was brought to your attention, did you own up to it, acknowledge that your saying it was wrong, apologize for the offense and pain it caused, and immediately explain how you've learned from the experience and will make sure it won't happen again? For sex positive educator and internet denizen Laci Green, that very series of events was followed by a deluge of harassment, defamatory gang ups, public humiliation, and, ultimately, death threats — and all from people who were supposedly allies. The world is a rainbow of assholes.


Collapse )

Source: http://jezebel.com/5924950/internet-social-justice-mob-goes-batshit-on-well+meaning-sex-ed-activist?comment=50859188?utm_medium=socialflow

I love Laci Green's videos, and I am disgusted by the treatment she's been receiving. On a somewhat positive note, I was thrilled to see Neil Gaiman coming to her defense!

shawn corey

GOP voter-ID law could backfire

John Baer, Daily News Political Columnist
Philadelphia Daily News



YOU CAN actually feel the impact of the state's new voter-ID law coming. I don't mean whether it's successful in fighting fraud, as Republican leaders claim, or whether it's successful in allowing Mitt Romney to win the state, as one Republican leader claims.



I mean in the sense that it's starting to look like a Republican overreach that could end up benefiting Democrats.

It's starting to jump the shark.

T
Collapse )

Source http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/john_baer/20120711_GOP_voter-ID_law_could_backfire.html?viewAll=y


You guys do not understand how this bullshit is tearing me apart right now , I can't believe they blatantly cheating right now
It's sooo unfair ugh I pray this shit backfires , The GOP should not be allowed to steal the election.
sailormoon

Srebrenica: funeral for 520 newly identified victims of Europe's worst massacre since the WWII


BOSNIANS have buried 520 victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, with the two alleged masterminds of the slaughter finally on trial for genocide.

About 30,000 people were gathered at a special memorial centre in Potocari, just outside Srebrenica, for the mass funeral on the 17th anniversary of the worst atrocity on European soil since World War II.

After speeches and the Muslim prayer for the dead, people began hoisting the simple coffins covered in green cloth to carry them to the freshly dug graves. Clouds of red dust rose over the vast cemetery as relatives covered the caskets with earth under the sweltering afternoon sun.

"It is the pain, an endless pain, and when July 11 arrives, every year, this pain becomes unbearable," said Sevdija Halilovic, a woman in her 50s whose father was laid to rest alongside the 5137 victims already buried there.

Mujo Salihovic, 30, had come to bury his father and one of his brothers. His other brother was already laid to rest in Potocari last year.

"I haven't told my mother that they will be buried today. She is sick and still believes they will return," he said tearfully. "If I tell her, it would kill her. I cannot lose her, she is all that I have left".

It is the first anniversary being commemorated since the massacre's alleged architects, Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic and political leader Radovan Karadzic, went on trial before the UN war crimes court.

In all, around 8000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered in the eastern enclave, then under the protection of lightly-armed Dutch UN peacekeepers, in the only episode of the 1992-95 Bosnian war to have been ruled a genocide by international courts.

World leaders rejected any moves to downplay the scale of the massacre.

"The United States rejects efforts to distort the scope of this atrocity, rationalise the motivations behind it, blame the victims, and deny the indisputable fact that it was genocide," US President Barack Obama said in statement.

His remarks were a clear swipe at Serbia's new President Tomislav Nikolic, who said last month that the killings in Srebrenica constituted "grave war crimes" but not genocide.

"We must never forget the act of genocide that was committed in Srebrenica, nor should it ever be denied,"
British Prime Minister David Cameron said in a statement.

But for many survivors and relatives in Srebrenica, the trials at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague are too little, too late.

They fear Karadzic, 67, and Mladic, 70, could die before any verdict is delivered.

"They will drag the trials out for years. In the end, those two savages will die, like Slobodan Milosevic, and the Serbs will keep saying there was no genocide in Srebrenica," said Fatima Mujic, referring to the Serb strongman who perished in a UN cell in 2006 while on trial before the ICTY.

"It should be enough to come here and see the thousands of graves. If that is not proof, we should give up,"
63-year-old Muniba Cakar who came to bury her husband said bitterly, gesturing at the thousands of simple white headstones around her.

The trial of Mladic, who led the attack on Srebrenica, resumed in The Hague this week with the first prosecution witnesses testifying, a little over a year since his arrest in Serbia after nearly 16 years on the run.

Karadzic is due to start presenting his defence in October. His trial opened in 2009 after he evaded justice for 13 years.

Both men have pleaded not guilty to genocide charges for masterminding the massacre and all other charges against them over the Bosnian war that left around 100,000 people dead.

So far 38 former Bosnian Serb military or police officials have been convicted, including some for genocide, for their role in the Srebrenica killings, both by the ICTY and Bosnia's own war crimes court.


In the past 17 years, the remains of 6800 victims have been identified, but the search goes on. Bosnian Serbs went to great lengths to hide the scale of the killings and returned months later to dig up bodies from mass graves and dump them in at least 28 so-called secondary grave sites. The excavations continue to this day.

source